Laboratory operations manager
The Division of Solid State Physics (SSP) at Lund University comprises of about 20 faculty members and in total 90 employees whose research focus is on the material science, physics and applications of semiconductor nanostructures in electronics, photonics and biology/medicine. The division is also at the heart of the Nanometer Structure Consortium (nmC), one of the world-leading research environments within nanoscience. Established in 1988, the nmC engages more than 200 scientists from the faculties of Engineering, Science and Medicine.
The Division of SSP runs the Nanometer Structure Consortium’s core nanofabrication facility, Lund Nano Lab (LNL) - one of the leading world-class nanofabrication laboratories in Scandinavia. LNL turns over approximately 30 MSEK annually, consists of approximately 600 sq. m area of clean room with about 80 installed tools, ranging from epitaxial systems to patterning and processing equipment and characterization instruments, and has more than 150 users from academic research groups and industry. The Lund Nano Lab team includes 10 well-qualified scientists, engineers and technicians. More information can be found at: www.ftf.lth.se, www.nano.lth.se,booking.ftf.lth.se.
The Division of Solid State Physics is now seeking a Laboratory operations manager to lead the day-to-day work of Lund Nano Lab, supervise the daily lab activity and take responsibility of the main infrastructure of LNL.
The Laboratory operations manager will report to the Head of the Division of Solid State Physics and will be responsible for the safe and efficient operation of Lund Nano Lab (LNL). The responsibility involves: personnel- and work management, implementation of safety regulations, technical support, financial management, customer relations and reporting.
The responsibilities will include:
- Day-to-day management of Lund Nano Lab
- Personnel- and work management of the technical staff: work distribution including planning of their work in other in-house facilities, career development and salary review
- Implementation of safe working routines for Lund Nano Lab, as well as the safe and continuous operation of equipment
- Financial management of Lund Nano Lab
- Planning of upgrades of the lab facilities, including planning of procurement of new equipment
- Contacts with external users, as well as new internal users (customer relations)
- Coordination of training of new lab users and other teaching activities in Lund Nano Lab
- Coordination of media support in the labs, such as process gases, vacuum, de-ionized water, cooling water, compressed air
- Reporting to the management of the Division of Solid State Physics and the Nanometer Structure Consortium
- Participation in, and contribution to, strategic discussions in Lund Nano Lab’s steering group
The position as Laboratory operations manager requires that you have at least a MSc-degree in a relevant area such as physics, chemistry, electrical engineering, nanoscience or a similar education.
The following documented experiences and qualifications are required:
- Experience in leading lab personnel
- Experience in work management in an academic or industrial research laboratory
- Experience with cleanroom work
- Experience of implementing working routines involving safe handling of dangerous gases and chemicals
- Experience of financial responsibility
- Proficiency in English including the ability to write technical documentation in English
- Excellent communication skills
Further desired qualifications and experiences include practical knowledge of epitaxy and/or nano-processing and of vacuum technology. We expect you to have good organizational skills, that you are self-motivated and have an ability to prioritize and handle multiple demands. Furthermore, in the selection of the successful candidate, much emphasis will be placed on interpersonal skills and the ability to bear significant responsibility.
We also expect that a non-Swedish speaking person within two years will have acquired sufficient knowledge of Swedish in order to effectively handle communication with different parties within the university.
Type of employment: Until further notice
Extent: 100 %
Location: Department of Physics, Lund
First day of employment: As soon as possible
Mark your application with Pedagogjobb.se